The way you interact with your JLG machines is changing. JLG’s solution to interacting with your machinery via an API or a web portal was called ClearSky. It was a telematics system that communicated one way, sending information from the machine to a device. It was not capable of sending data to the machine. And it was not supported by a mobile app.
Earlier this year, JLG announced the launch of ClearSky Smart Fleet. We’ll give you a condensed version of their article that describes the updates and enhanced features of this new system. (See Video Summary Below)
ClearSky Smart Fleet is a next-generation Internet of Things (IoT) platform that offers far more than any other telematics solution available. It provides a host of other connected solutions, all contained within a state-of-the-art connectivity beacon on the product. This means that data and functionality are now available on a one-to-one or one-to-many machine basis through a unique mobile app, a comprehensive web dashboard or a robust API.
Starting in late summer 2023, the beacon will be installed on most newly produced, CANBus-equipped (Controller Area Network) JLG machines. Unlike the legacy ClearSky solution, ClearSky Smart Fleet offers two-way communication, allowing for continued collection of data from the machine while introducing the ability to push data to the machine.
Advancing yesterday’s connectivity into today’s interactivity, ClearSky Smart Fleet includes new features and functionality like:
- Bi-directional communication between machines and users
- A uniquely designed app dedicated to providing an optimal mobile user experience — it’s not just a website available on a mobile device.
- Data is placed at the user’s fingertips, wherever and whenever it’s needed
- Advanced and customizable data reporting and visualization
- Local machine status that utilizes the beacon to identify a machine — when on-site, the beacon blinks to help an operator or technician find the machine they are looking for (similar to finding a car in a parking lot by clicking on the panic button — the alarm sounds and lights blink)
- Targeted digital information
- Embedded analyzer that eliminates the need to have a handheld analyzer on-site and allows technicians to push updates or send information to the machine, as well as receive it from the machine, all from the app
- Digital access control
- Advanced Battery Monitoring System (ABMS) availability via the ClearSky Smart Fleet mobile app – this feature had previously only been available through the JLG’s Mobile Control app.
- And, coming soon: Automated fleet grouping and/or the full worksite grouping of machines
Comprehensive Mobile App
Developed from the ground up, the ClearSky Smart Fleet app provides a modern mobile experience to manage data and machine interaction, even when cellular data and Wi-Fi are not available.
Key features of the mobile app include:
- FIND MY MACHINE — Using geolocation, the Find My Machine feature activates audible and visual cues from the machine to make equipment identification effortless. With ClearSky Smart Fleet, equipment owners and operators can light a specific machine’s beacon or honk its horn at the push of a button.
- MACHINE STATUS INDICATION — Visual cues from the machine allow equipment owners and operators to wirelessly identify a machine’s status, such as active diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), battery or fuel level, ignition status and more simply by looking at the color of the beacon.
- DIGITAL ANALYZER — Perform diagnostics wirelessly with this built-in analyzer that replaces the JLG handheld analyzer.
- DIGITAL ANALYZER READER — A one-page summary that shows a machine’s set-up, personalities, diagnostics and fault log data, which can be easily downloaded and shared.
- DIGITIZED INFORMATION — Access to targeted information to help solve service issues without moving a step.
The functionality is improved by providing a user-friendly web portal and advanced API.
JLG’s aggressive move to advance technology includes the desire to make that technology more accessible to all of its customers. ClearSky Smart Fleet is a revolutionary way to track and monitor equipment, allowing you to be more efficient and more profitable with the tap of a screen.